Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Weirdness of Boys, Pt. II

For my final voices entry I present another dialogue from one of my boys.
Jeren is not known for his mad cleaning skills. In fact, he is known for the opposite: Mad laziness skills! He reminds me of Pigpen from Charlie Brown, with a cloud of dust following him everywhere. I don't say that in any mean way at all. It's just a fact of life.

Today I got my new washer and dryer. The first dryer was broken (it somehow got smashed in the front) and so they put the washer in the house and fixed it so I could use it and went back for another dryer.

I'm already a little selfish with my chores and when I have a new toy, I become extremely selfish about my chores. I like to be the one to break things in when they are mine. I put a load of laundry in as soon as the guy left to go get the dryer.

Jeren came into the kitchen when he heard the truck leave.

Jeren: "So, how do I use these things?"
(Jeren has never done laundry in his life. Not only am I not good at sharing, but he has never shown any real interest.)
Me: "You aren't going to use these things today. I haven't even figured them out, yet."
Jeren: "But I have a HUGE pile of laundry in my room and it needs to be washed."
(Never mind that EVERY DAY he has a HUGE pile of laundry in his room that he walks over to get to his desk.)
Me: "These are brand new and I'm going to be the one to break them in, figure them out and try the different features, first. They are my toys. After I am used to them, maybe I will show you how to use them, but not today. I have lots of wash to do because I haven't been able to do it for four or five days."
Jeren: "I have a HUGE pile of laundry that needs to be done. I wanted to do it today!"
Me: "Jeren, you are not using these today!"

At this point he got mad and stomped out of the room.

A little later he came back in and I tried to explain to him that I might show him tomorrow or the next day some of the important features. He just said, "I don't want to talk about it anymore!" (using his mad voice)

Haha.
What a guy!

2 comments:

Christine said...

Sounds like he wanted to play with the new washer and dryer too! LOL I hate being without a washer or dryer. It is hard to function and I hate laundromats.

The Invisible Mo said...

Ditto. I had to use a laundromat once for about two weeks while we were moving into our new house and it was the pits!
At one of the fixers I lived in there was only one 220 outlet and I had to choose between a stove and a dryer. I chose the dryer. I had a wood cookstove, a microwave, a crockpot, a toaster oven, an electric griddle and an electric frying pan. Who needed an electric range? I lived that way for three years.