Friday, March 28, 2008

Excerpts From a Paper Journal



Some tidbits from my journal of 1989, during Jeren's first year.

1. 2/7/1989
David is 5 and Jeren is 3 months:
David says, "Oh, Jeren, you are my favorite joke!" or alternately,
"Oh, Jeren, you are such a funny joke to me!"
This is because he absolutely laughs himself silly over Jeren's expressions.

2. 3/6/1989
David is still 5.
Today while I was tending to Jeren, David got his 'baby' and put him to bed in Jeren's bed. Then when it was time for Jeren's nap, David put his baby in the infant seat and gave him the toys I had earlier given Jeren.

3. 3/8/1989
Laurie is 11 years old. Jeren is 4 months.
Jeren had his first fall yesterday evening. He threw himself out of Laurie's arms (by lunging when she was changing his position.) She screamed a blood-curdling scream at the top of her lungs. It scared him and he screamed. She cried. He's ok. This morning I woke up to him sucking on my elbow.

4. 4/6/1989
Keri is 14 years old.
Keri got a letter from Matt with the stamp upside down. They talk on the phone a lot and don't say anything.

5. 6/10/1989
Jeren is 7 months old.
This morning Jeren got into things. He ate dirt out of one of my plants and also pulled off a leaf. He went back for more several times, looking to see if I would stop him. (I did).

6. 6/11/1989
Today when I went in to get Jeren, he was standing in his crib.

7. 6/12/1989
Jeren let go and stood without support.

8. 6/25/1989
Sean is a couple of weeks short of 8 years and Jeren is 7 months.
Jeren played a game with Sean. He rolled the ball to Sean and when Sean rolled it back he repeated the process.

9. 7/17/1989
Things I saw today:
A man eating out of the garbage at McDonald's
A young boy (11 or 12) in handcuffs.

10. 7/23/1989
Jeren is 8 1/2 months old.
I've been out of the room for a few minutes to put away some clothes.
Jeren is in the kitchen spitting. He's been eating the cat food again. Behind him lies a trail.
Yarn from my needlework kits strewn about the living room.
The little bird-cage on the floor.
The cat-food dish lying on its side, cat food spilled on the floor.
The cat's water dish spilled and rolled on its side by the cabinet.
He has splashed and crawled through the water and it's all over.
He found toast and a cheeto from last night's dinner (left in the high chair) and munched on those.
He rolled the wheels to the stroller and chuckled to himself. (While I was cleaning up.)
Right now he is crinkling the handle to a plastic bag full of stuff for the Goodwill.

No comments: